You just got married and you want have your honeymoon in Croatia or you just want to have a relaxing vacation in Croatia. Great¸ you are at the right place. People usually prefer destinations considered exotic or romantic. That being said¸ Croatia can give you both as well as much more.
If you’re arriving from Europe¸ you won’t find it difficult to travel to Croatia since the country is located in the Central Europe across the Adriatic sea¸ opposite to Italy. Thanks to its favorable geographic position¸ you can visit Croatia and other nearby countries such as Italy¸ Austria¸ Hungary¸ Bosnia and Herzegovina or Montenegro. It would be like honeymoon tour but let’s go back to the topic¸ vacation in Croatia.
CROATIA HONEYMOON – WHAT DOES IT OFFER
Although Croatia is a small country with only 4 milion people¸ distinct differences between its regions provide diverse excotic¸ romantic¸ exciting¸ adventurous and above all unforgettable experience for people of all ages and from all walks of life. The country is geographically and culturally divided in 5 different regions:
- Zagreb and the northern Croatia with old baroque cities such as Varaždin and Čakovec – this part of Croatia is best for people who prefer urban style of life and cultural monuments since Zagreb is the capital of Croatia with population of 1 million people. You can visit it any time of the year but the best time to see it is during winter months¸ especially during Christmas Advent which is among the best in Europe. This time of year¸ Zagreb looks like a huge Christmas Village with all the decorations¸ attractions¸ boutique wines, gourmet dishes and live music that revives its parks and squares. Besides Zagreb¸ there are couple of smaller baroque towns in the region with stunning castles and historical monuments. For instance¸ romantic castle Trakošćan in Varaždin¸ the best preserved medieval fortification Veliki Tabor in Desnić and Ozalj¸ a beautiful picturesque town with rich history and marvelous nature.
- Slavonia on the east with its valleys¸ National Park Papuk and town of Osijek – truth be told¸ this is the least popular part of Croatia, especially if you’re looking for honeymoon in Croatia. On the other hand¸ if you like peace and quiet¸ beautiful scenery and you don’t want to go to the coast¸ islands or the mountains¸ then the valleys and national parks of Slavonia are best suited for you. The main city of Slavonia is Osijek with its beautiful architecture that provides romantic walks along the shores of Danube river.
- Lika and Gorski Kotar with National Park Plitvice – this is the mountain part of the country which connects the coastal part with the rest of Croatia. Lika and Gorski kotar are comprised of picturesque countryside landscapes surrounded with lush green forests and clear lakes. You can visit it all year long. It only depends what you prefer. During winter months¸ this part of Croatia is great for skiing, snowboarding and winter holidays. On the other hand, during summer people like to visit it to cool off from the heat as well as to visit stunning National Park Plitvice. Also, Lika and Gorski Kotar offer cheaper accommodation and they are only 1 to 4 hours drive from the coast, depending on your location.
- Kvarner and Istria – this is the northwest part of the coast with the city of Rijeka as the biggest city in the region. Charming towns, beautiful beaches, peaceful islands, close proximity of Slovenia, Italy and Austria make this region very popular. Besides Rijeka, there are many other smaller towns which are bursting with festivals and tourists during hot summer months. Charming town Opatija, Pula with its Roman Colosseum, Motovun with its film festival, Crikvenica Riviera with beautiful beaches and promenades, Rabac and Rovinj with their summer resorts as well as Poreč with its beautiful architecture are a guaranty for fun and romantic vacation in Croatia. National Park Brijuni, a group of islands, is the most popular and the most beautiful national park in this part of Croatia.
- Dalmatia with Split & Dubrovnik – Dalmatia is a region on the Croatian south which includes charming cities with beautiful arhitecture such as Zadar, Šibenik, Primošten, Trogir, Split, Omiš, Makarska and Dubrovnik, among other. While these cities lay on the shores of Adriatic sea, there are also numerous islands along the coast of Dalmatia. Whether you are looking for romantic towns¸ peaceful islands¸ hidden beaches¸ picturesque national parks or unforgettable adventure¸ look no further. Dalmatia is your answer to perfect honeymoon in Croatia where you will find charming getaway and romantic sunsets. The best cities to visit in Dalmatia are Zadar on the north¸ Dubrovnik in the south and Split in the middle. When it comes to islands¸ Brač¸ Hvar¸ Vis¸ Korčula and Dugi Otok are the ones to see. Although there are several National Parks in the region¸ N.P. Krka is the most popular of all.
CROATIA HONEYMOON – CLIMATE
Despite being a small country¸ Croatia’s climate ranges wide depending on where in the country you are. However¸ on average, we have moderate winters and hot¸ dry summers. Because of the climate and the seasons¸ coastal part of the country is the best for summer vacation¸ while Zagreb is the best for winter holidays. If you’re planning to have your Croatian honeymoon in summer on the coast as most people do¸ stock up on sunscreen¸ water and don’t forget the sunglasses.